Who knew murder could be so much fun?
By Andrew Andrews
Faded film star Jessica Crenshaw has just passed out backstage after her horrendous opening night performance in a new musical about a cowboy version of Robin Hood.
Eager to move the show from Boston to Broadway, the director decides to replace the ailing star with the show’s songwriter, Georgia Hendricks, despite opposition from the cast and Georgia’s co-writing ex-husband Aaron Fox.
Just as most of the actors threaten to leave the production, police detective Frank Cioffi shows up to announce that Crenshaw has been murdered, everyone in the company is a suspect, and none of them are permitted to leave the theatre until he solves the crime.
Cioffi, a community theatre performer himself, spends as much time trying to fix the show as he does deducing the murderer, falling mutually in love with a performer (and suspect) named Niki in the process.
With music by Kander & Ebb (better known for the long-running musicals Chicago and Cabaret), this comedic whodunit originally starred David Hyde Pierce, and received mixed reviews for its limited run on Broadway.
The benefits of a paid subscription include:
- Access unlimited full reviews as soon as they are published.
- Support exposure for independent productions that don’t get love from the mainstream media!
- Demonstrate your commitment to small, local, unbiased reporting in your community!
- Find the best shows faster with star ratings on the home page.
- Find the closest shows faster with venue locations on the home page.
- Receive highly-selective, premium recommendations
(opt-outat any time!)
Read It Now!